Unnamed Painting, June 2006, Part 2

The black painting is no longer all black.

[Unnamed Painting, in progress] Turns out it was never really as black as I thought anyway. Today I looked at it under bright sunlight and found it had more texture than I wanted: The black paint I'd mixed was in fact slightly translucent in a few spots and I could see some brushstrokes here and there, and of course there were the hairs I couldn't get out. But it was close enough for me, matte black like a cleaned chalkboard or the asphalt on a new driveway.

[Unnamed Painting, in progress] I did a sketch, a messy kind of thing, to give me an idea of where I wanted to go with this. But I had no way of transferring the sketch to the panel -- at least, none I could think of. The panel's black! I guess I could have used chalk or something. But I couldn't think of anything that'd really work, so I decided to freehand the painting without a sketch. By the way, check out that aluminum easel. My neighbor was throwing it out. It made me a little sad -- it looked like my neighbors had given up on their artistic career, and chucked out a whole bunch of (admittedly not very good) Bob Ross-style paintings on store-bought canvases and this easel. At least I can use it for something.

I started by mixing my color. I was looking for a kind of turquoise, an aqua kind of blue-green. I began with Gamblin Cerulean Blue Hue, which is actually (as the word hue implies) zinc white pre-mixed with a blue pigment made of copper. I added some Indian Yellow (I could've sworn I had some Hansa Yellow around here!) and Titanium White. Once I got the color I was looking for, I mixed in a fair amount of Gamsol because I wanted this to flow almost like ink.

[Unnamed Painting, in progress] I took the panel off of my easel. I don't feel comfortable trying to do detailed work on an easel; my hand just isn't that steady. I want to rest right on the painting surface. So I set up -- well, you can see from the photo how ad hoc my set-up is. I leaned the panel on the windowsill, using a radiator as a table, and sat on my bed. The light's good, anyway, since the window's right there. Yes, that is an iron on the right-hand side.

I sat down to paint and was shaking pretty badly. This was because, a) as I said, I don't have a very steady hand; b) my blood sugar was feeling low because of some new medicine I'm on; and c) I was nervous about freehanding. Really. The black surface of my panel stared at me, daring me to screw it up. I don't usually get nervous looking at a blank ground, but this time it got to me.

The only thing to do is jump in, though, so that's what I did. I loaded up a great cheap liner brush from the Princeton Art Company and put down some paint. After the first mark things went more smoothly and in a few minutes, I was done. And very happy. It looks almost exactly like I wanted it to. I was so fantastically ecstatic, in fact, I actually cleaned my brushes right after I was done.

[Unnamed Painting, in progress] This looks so perfectly like I imagined. That almost never happens.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Chris Rywalt published on June 10, 2006 8:31 PM.

Unnamed Painting, June 2006 was the previous entry in this blog.

Unnamed Painting, June 2006, Part 3 (finished) is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.



OpenID accepted here Learn more about OpenID
Powered by Movable Type 5.01